The costs of repatriation of stowaways (as well as sick crew members) are covered by the Club. Repatriation of stowaways can be difficult, time consuming and expensive – always complete a thorough stowaway search before departure and always maintain a gangway watch.
What to do when stowaways are found:
• confine them to a secure area, particularly when in port or coastal waters (in port it may be necessary to arrange for security guards);
• search them and their place of concealment for identification papers, weapons or drugs;
• if no identification papers are found, interview the stowaways and endeavor to ascertain the following information:
– name of stowaway;
– stowaway’s date and place of birth;
– nationality of stowaway;
– name, date and place of birth of either or both of the stowaway’s parents;
– postal and residential address of the stowaway and either or both parents;
– stowaway’s passport No., together with date of and place of issue;
– stowaway’s next of kin, if different from above.
• advise your owner or manager immediately and the P&I correspondent at the next port as soon as possible, providing all available details and the ship’s future itinerary;
• treat them firmly, but humanely, allowing adequate sustenance;
• do not add stowaways to the crew list.
• make a note of any pre-existing illness or injury.
Fines for drugs discovered on board may be covered by the Club.
If drugs are discovered:
• if your owner or manager is a signatory to either the UK Anti Drug Alliance or US Sea Carrier Initiative Agreement, follow the guidelines set out in those agreements;
• inform your owner or manager, the appropriate authorities and the P&I correspondent at the next port immediately;
• photograph the drugs in their place of concealment;
• ensure that retrieval of the drugs and stowage in a secure place, preferably in the ship’s safe, is witnessed;
• minimize all contact with the substances and DO NOT attempt to taste or smell them;
• record full details of the discovery and subsequent procedures in the log book, and follow this up with a full written report.BLOG COMMENTS POWERED BY DISQUS