A UK container ship loses several containers overboard in heavy weather. Some of them contain dangerous goods; others contain marine pollutants. What reports should be made?

MCA Oral Exam Questions

(1)  A Dangerous Goods (DG) Report and Marine Pollutants (MP) Report, as described in MGN 242, to the nearest coast radio station or coastguard station;

 (2)a report (by phone, fax or telex) to the MAIB of loss of cargo overboard and possible serious harm to environment; and (3) a report to the owners and charterers (if any). The ship's agent at the destination port should also be informed, since receivers of cargo in missing containers will have to be notified. The P&I club correspondent for that port should also be notified.